We are 12 days into NZ’s first lockdown. In a country that values its freedom we are now being restricted like never before. We are being told to stay home, when we can shop, how close we can stand to each other and even how many items we can buy. If you had told us that this would be happening less than a month ago, no one would have taken you seriously.
What we are celebrating as we go through this together is the way that we are accepting these restrictions. NZ as a whole is playing along and I think the reasons are clear.
- We understand the rules – No effort was spared getting us ready for Level 4.
- We understand why – we have been clearly communicated with as to why these restrictions are in place.
- We are not being singled out – the rules are the same for everyone.
- We are given a level of control – we all know what the consequences are and we as a nation are choosing to play along.
Our team are being called upon to assist in the safe operation of Shopping Centres, Chemists, Supermarkets, Council Facilities, Retirement Villages and even Cemeteries. Due to the backgrounds and training of these staff they are standing up and making a real difference to the experience had by people in a really uncomfortable environment. This is being reported by clients using our services and even by customers seeking us out when they get home, sending emails to ensure that these staff are recognised.
“The Stonefields New World security guard is doing a great job. He is so polite and humorous. He is offering water and other assistance to the public. His please and attitude rubs off on the waiting queue…. Everyone is in good spirits, calm and polite.”
If you are opening your premise to the public now, or considering what you might need to do so under Level 3, our advice to you would be to design the experience that you would want for yourself.
- Ensure everyone understands what you are doing
- Ensure everyone understands why you are doing it
- Treat everyone equally
- Make the rules and consequences clear and allow some choice.
Our management team can help you plan this experience for your customers, visitors and staff whilst our friendly and proactive frontline team can work with you to deliver it.